What is Galleywampus?
We launched this speculative fiction review blog with a soft opening in August 2015, and with a true opening on September 1, 2015.
Galleywampus is currently run by a pack of unpaid book fans. We have jobs aside from our work on this blog. We hope that our content is enjoyable and that you find our reviews informative, entertaining and useful.
Our (premature) per-month publishing plan is:
- 20 reviews
- 1 author, artist or industry insider interview
- 2 articles
- 2 book tours or book blitzes
What sort of books does Galleywampus review?
We will review books published by publishers of any size. In fact, we have made it our mission to include at least 1/4 of our reviews from books published outside of the “Big 5.” This includes books by independent publishers.
As we obtain, read and enjoy books, we will review them.
In order to have a cohesive site plan, we have determined to stick largely to speculative fiction of all kinds–fantasy, horror, and science fiction, and all of the sub-genres that make up these genres. We read other stuff, but it won’t be featured here. There’s a gray area for pulp and thriller works that
How do I get Galleywampus to review my work?
Please recognize that it might take some time to place a review on the site. We are often working ahead of the posted reviews and it takes time to read a book and write a review. We are currently working a month ahead of schedule.
How do I supply reviews to Galleywampus?
First, a quick note: all contributors at Galleywampus at this time are unpaid; this includes the site owner and all contributors. If we ever decide to make money from this site, we will evaluate how to pay all participants.
If you would like to contribute a guest review in order to promote your work, or simply to share your reviewing prowess, contact us via the Contact Form.
Send us a direct message on Twitter and we will get in touch with you. Please let us know your favorite areas under the speculative fiction to read, write, create and review. We may request an example of your work before making any determinations. We reserve the right to decline all and future contributions for any reason and at any time.
Intellectual Property Notes
Galleywampus reserves all intellectual property rights to our work.
- Any reviews created by and published by this site are the exclusive property of Galleywampus.
- Any art work or excerpts that we have shared from works are the intellectual property of the original artist or authors. A request by the intellectual property owner to remove the art or excerpts will be honored.
- Any guest reviewers are given permission to reprint the published version of their reviews, so long as Galleywampus is noted as the original publisher of the review.
- If we are a secondary review site for the material (for example, a guest reviewer wishes to re-post a review that he/she posted to another website) so long as we have the appropriate permissions from the original website and all rights holders to post the content, the original rights holders retain all rights to his/her reviews.
- Excerpts of Galleywampus reviews and articles may be shared, so long as credit is referred back to Galleywampus.
We occasionally receive books for free. This can happen in several ways:
1) The publisher, writer, artist, agent, publicist, or enthusiastic pet directly sent us a copy of the book or an advanced reader copy (hereafter called an ARC).
2) We received a review or ARC copy indirectly from the publisher, writer, artist, agent, publicist, or enthusiastic pet, such as through Netgalley or Edelweiss or another legal galley-sharing website.
3) We found a special at a retailer and “purchased” the book for $0.00.
Regardless, we choose to read and review each book, whether we have received that book for free or purchased it ourselves, by the same admittedly subjective standards. Our opinions are our own. We will only read and recommend works we personally enjoy.
We are disclosing the possibility that we have obtained materials from the owners of these materials in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
If you send us a book, we will do our best to review it. We cannot guarantee a positive review, or any review if we find ourselves unable to do so. Be patient. Remember that our time is limited. There are currently only a few of us and we will read the books we enjoy. That having been said, every book will be given a chance.